The original 17 bells of the zvon located in the Lowell House at Harvard University were cast between 1682 and 1907 and had hung in the St. Danilovsky Monastery (Moscow, RU) until they were rescued from the Bolsheviks. Richard T. Crane, an American businessman, purchased the bells from the Soviet Government in 1930, at the persuasion of Thomas Whittemore, a Harvard professor, and gave them as a gift to Harvard. The bells were rung at Harvard for the last time during Commencement in June 2008. After that, they were returned to the St. Danilovsky Monastery in exchange for new bells. The new bells were cast by Vera LLC (Veronezh, RU), and were a gift of a Russian businessman.
The files in this collection are protected by copyright law. No commercial reproduction or distribution of these files is permitted without the written permission of Bok Tower Gardens Library and Archives. For questions or further information on this collection, contact email@example.com.