The McFarland Memorial Bell Tower at the University of Illinois houses the Sarah “Sally” McFarland Carillon. The McFarland Memorial Bell Tower is 185 feet high. The carillon was installed in 2008 and is an electric-automatic carillon of 48 bells. The bells were cast by the Petit and Fritsen Bell Foundry (Aarle-Rixtel, Holland, NL). The Verdin Company (Cincinnati, Ohio, US) has performed services on the bells and carillon related equipment. The University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign also has a chime. It is located in the upper belfry at Altgeld Hall. The chime was installed in 1920 and the bells were cast by the McShane Bell Foundry (Baltimore, Maryland, US). There was a dedication on May 17, 1953 for a now defunct carillon that was located in the University Lutheran Chapel and Student Center. In 1962, a Schulmerich Americana was installed in the northeast tower of Memorial Stadium. The keyboard was located in the University Auditorium.
The files in this collection are protected by copyright law. No commercial reproduction or distribution of these files is permitted without the written permission of Bok Tower Gardens Library and Archives. For questions or further information on this collection, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.