The carillon of St. John’s Episcopal Church is a nontraditional carillon of 47 bells. The instrument began in 1854 as an eight bell chime, cast by the Meneely Bell Foundry (Watervliet, New York, US). The bells were removed from the tower and hidden during the Civil War. When the bells were rehung in 1867, the two smallest bells were rehung incorrectly and cracked upon being played. They were later removed and recast. In 1911, an additional 3 bells were added and seven of the eight original bells were recast. In 1939, two bells were added. In 1976, two more bells were added, bringing the total number of bells to 15. The 1911 and 1939 expansions were cast by Meneely, and the 1976 expansion was cast by Petit and Fritsen (Aarle-Rixtel, NL). In 1990, the instrument was expanded to a carillon of 47 bells. One bell remains from the bells cast in 1911 and 46 additional bells were cast by the Paccard Bell Foundry (Annecy, FR).
The files in this collection are protected by copyright law. No commercial reproduction or distribution of these files is permitted without the written permission of Bok Tower Gardens Library and Archives. For questions or further information on this collection, contact email@example.com.