By September 1928, the structure of the Singing Tower was nearly complete. The 13 largest bells entered through the space occupied by the sundial and were hoisted into the bell chamber through the center of the tower. The remaining bells were moved into place in October 1928. This photo shows the bourdon (largest) bell being moved into the tower. The bourdon bell is a note of Eb (E flat) and weighs 22,400 pounds. All of the bells were cast by the Taylor Bell Foundry of Loughborough, England.
The files in this collection are protected by copyright law. No commercial reproduction or distribution of these files is permitted without the written permission of Bok Tower Gardens Library and Archives. For questions or further information on this collection, contact firstname.lastname@example.org